I have to thank my neighbor for this recipe! This is a SWEET pickle brine, which brings out the wonderful taste of the peppers. I use a mixture of green and red bell peppers from my garden. They’re delicious with Italian hoagies, tuna sandwiches, omelets or just straight out of the jar.
Pickled Sweet Peppers
- 2-1/2 lbs bell peppers
- 2 c white sugar
- 2 c apple cider vinegar
- 2 c water
- 1/2 tsp celery seed
- 1/2 tsp mustard seed
- 2 gloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- Combine above ingredients, EXCEPT peppers, in a large saucepan; bring to a boil then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove seeds from peppers and cut into strips.
- Blanche peppers in boiling water for 3 minutes; drain.
- Pack peppers into sterilized jars and cover with pickling liquid leaving 1/4″ head space.
- Process in a water bath canner (click here for canning directions) – 10 minutes for half-pints and pints and 15 minutes for quarts.
- Instead of canning, the peppers will keep for several weeks in a sealed jar in the refrigerator.
- Yields approximately 6-8 half-pints.
As with any food, if it looks funky or smells nasty, THROW IT AWAY. Nobody wants a heaping serving of food poisoning with dinner.