This is one of those great summer salad recipes. The hardest part about it – making sure you don’t burn up the bacon while it’s cooking. Enjoy!
- 1 large head fresh broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1/4 c red onion, chopped
- 8 oz bacon, cooked crispy and crumbled – let cool
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded (not fresh mozzarella)
- 1 c real mayo
- 1/2 c sugar
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
In a large bowl, combine broccoli, onion, bacon and mozzarella cheese.
In a separate bowl, combine mayo, sugar and vinegar; stir until combined. Pour over salad ingredients and refrigerate at least one hour.
- This salad is tastier if refrigerated overnight and the broccoli is given a chance to soak up all the dressing.
- I put my bacon in the freezer overnight. While I’m chopping everything, I let it defrost the tiniest bit and then cut it into small pieces and fry.
- If you don’t have RED onion, any type will do in a pinch.
- I use the mozzarella from the deli. I buy it in a large chunk and cube it. The packaged shredded mozzarella works fine, also. Do NOT use fresh mozzarella. It will not stand up to the dressing.
- If the dressing is too sweet, you can cut back on the sugar.