Sweet Pickle Relish
- 4 – 5 lbs large cucumbers
- 1 large sweet onion
- 1/4 cup pickling salt
- 3 cups apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dill seed
- 2 tsp mustard seed
- 2 tsp celery seed
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Wash cucumber and remove ends. Slice the cucumbers lengthwise and scrape out the seeds with a spoon – I do not peel the cucumbers.
- Finely chop the cucumbers and onion. You can use the food processor if you’d like a finer texture, just do not over process or you will have cucumber puree’.
- Place the cucumbers and onion mixture in a large bowl; add salt and mix well. Let the mixture sit for approximately 2 – 3 hours. The salt will draw out all the excess water in the cucumbers.
- Drain the mixture in a strainer until all the liquid is removed. Do not rinse. I squeeze out the excess liquid with my hands.
- In a large pot, combine vinegar, sugar, garlic, dill seed, mustard seed, celery seed and turmeric; bring to a boil.
- Add the cucumber mixture and return to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Cool and store in refrigerator or process pints in water bath for 10 minutes – click for canning instructions.
NOTE: Once the mixture is done cooking – give it a taste. A lot of times, I usually end up adding a pinch more salt and sugar. You could also add some red pepper flakes, for a spicier relish. White vinegar can also be substituted – it will give you a little more of a vinegary kick.